Understanding education and re-aligning with its purpose!admin
Two wrongs don’t make a right!
Yes the situation we are all in because of the Covid situation is wrong from every angle. And with the confinement we are all experiencing all the anxieties are getting magnified. The biggest anxiety parents are experiencing is the concerns they have about their child’s access to school. Schools are closed and when they will restart is not known to you or me or anyone, from India to America to Uk to Argentina! When schools do reopen, what will the situation be like and how will children stay safe is another question with no answer!
Now comes the question of what should be done about the curriculum during this lock down period. There are so many different ideas and plans and thoughts being shared. There are parents trying to understand home-schooling as an option, be it short term or for the long haul. There are schools starting with the academic sessions as per the regular time-line with on-line classes for the students. There are parents who have chosen to calmly withdraw from all this and not take curriculum so seriously and wait to see what happens. Yes we are all in a dilemma. Yes we are all worried we will make a choice that will do more harm than good for our children. Yes we are scared our children will come out of this situation as the looser for the choices we made.
Let us remember that two wrongs don’t make a right but two rights make it even more right. So as parents let’s calm down and stay focused for the sake of our children. Let us ask ourselves these questions….
- Is it important for my child to learn or pass exams?
- Is screen time recommended for children of my child’s age?
- Don’t I know of people who have succeeded in life because they are smart and not because they passed exams with high marks?
- Don’t I know of people who topped their class all through school and college and are not the most successful today?
- Is it more important for my child to get marks or to learn to be confident in what they know?
- Is teaching my child in anger and frustration worth the education he will get?
- My child has only one set of parents and will have many educators in his life. Isn’t my relationship with my child more important than staying in the rat race of the curriculum?
‘We don’t need our kids to know more but know it superficially. We need kids who know a great deal about a handful of topics that they will use to build careers that change the world for the better. These are the sorts of careers that are fulfilling and that solve the world’s biggest problems. You know, like pandemics.’
When confused, seek to understand. When troubled, ask for help. When calm make the best choices.
|For counselling, guidance and consultation, connect with Samatha Learning Center:
Call: +91-9844155434/ +91-6361494908
#samathalearning #education #parenting #homeschooling #educationforall #children #choices